Friday, November 18, 2011

From the Heart

Now as an artist, I can say what I feel art is really about.  It doesn't matter how "perfect" or realistic it is, but about what feeling, thought, or perspective you're trying to get across.  You really have to put an emotion to it, something that will draw a viewer to it.

Now I've seen a lot of fantastic pieces, especially in my portfolio class I'm taking, and many people in that class know how to bring out that emotion, but one of my friends in that class, I feel, doesn't really put her whole heart into it.  I don't feel that much when I look at some of her work, as if she was only going for how real she could make it.  Now I love her work, don't get me wrong, she's a fantastic artist and everyone seems to love her, but I wish she really put more feeling into the pieces.  I know she has a lot locked up in her, that's for sure, but she doesn't really express it too much in her work.  I saw a few pieces that she had done last year or maybe two years ago and I felt the emotion, but now she's slipping from it and it bothers me to see it.

On the days she's not working hard on her projects in class she's dancing around saying she doesn't want to work that day, but that's three out of the five days.  I understand she's very busy once she gets home, but so am I now, and although I don't want to work on my projects sometimes I keep going.  I've caught myself slacking and put myself to work harder.  I always try putting in my emotions, thoughts, ideas, etc. into my pieces, but people don't seem to care for it as much as my friend's work who seems to get most of the attention in class.

Now, I don't want to make it sound like, "Why not me?  Why can't people look at my work?"  There's a lot of people who go unnoticed for their work; they have great pieces, but it seems like it's a popularity contest in the class and sometimes it seems like the most realistic wins.  I know that's what a majority of what people are like nowadays (doing things halfheartedly, thinking of only getting rich or famous), but shouldn't people really consider what it is they like about a piece or song?  Don't people want more than bad lyrics or a painting of just another famous person?

Way back when, people wrote what they felt; they played music or painted a picture because it's not only what they love doing, but because they knew it was the only way to express their deepest of emotions and show others a different point of view on the world.  Many of them didn't become famous until after they died!  So why can Justin Bieber rap/ sing (whatever that dude does) on the radio and become famous so easily when I've heard better, more thoughtful lyrics from others on the web who go about unnoticed?  I feel this world is all backwords sometimes.

Sorry to make this sound like a lecture or something, but it just bothers me how things like that happen.  I'm hoping people will agree with me and things can come from the heart more often than not.  That's probably what the wide world is missing.

Well, I hope this has sparked some inspiration or something, although it's not very well written (got lost in my thoughts rather than concentrating on making it sound real good).  I shall write again on Monday (by the way, Mondays and Fridays are my blogging days if you're wondering).

No comments:

Post a Comment